So, what solar battery do you need?
When shopping online for solar batteries, gel technology is, without doubt, the right choice; the price premium is easily off-set by the life and cycle expectations for this demanding application subjected to high and low temperatures, unpredictable charging, daily cycling, probable partial state of charge discharges. Gel batteries are the best deep cycle batteries for solar. For a solar application you need to use a battery that has great cyclic capability and is therefore going to provide a high cycle life (i.e. The battery can be discharged and charged a high number of times) Our HZY-EV solar gel battery range is one of the original gel technologies, and are perfectly suited to solar applications.
How are gel batteries constructed?
The positive and negative grids are cast from a calcium/tin-lead alloy to reduce grid growth and corrosion. The active material is manufactured from a high purity lead (99.9999%) to minimize the negative effects of impurities. The separator is manufactured by world leaders in the field, utilising the latest German technology. The base material is a microporous duroplastic exhibiting excellent high-temperature stability and mechanical strength, resulting in very good resistance to vibration and mechanical shock. The integrity of the battery will be maintained under extreme conditions.
The purpose of the separator is to maintain a constant distance between the positive and negative plates, eliminating the possibility of short circuits whilst allowing the active materials to fully react with the gelled electrolyte.
The separator also has an open construction, which allows little resistance to the flow of the electrolyte during filling. A thin layer (typically 0.4mm) of non-woven glass mat is an integral part of the separator and is placed against the positive plate for improved surface contact.
About Electrolyte Filling:
The battery design and construction negates the need for electrolyte addition and the battery remains maintenance-free throughout its design life.
The gelled electrolyte is introduced to the cell by means of custom-built vacuum filling machines; vacuum cycling is utilized after the filling process.
Solar installations can occasionally have limitations on their ability to charge batteries due to unfavourable weather conditions, for this reason charging voltages should optimise the charge time available and higher currents are ideal to ‘rapid’ charge the battery.
Each battery technology has its advantages and disadvantages, it is, therefore, important to choose the right battery for the application.
Advantages of solar gel batteries:
· Full recovery from deep discharge, even when the battery is not recharged immediately.
· Ideal for repeat cycling daily use.
· Excellent performance over long discharges
· Good tolerance to higher temperature applications
· Improved resistance to freezing
· Suitable where mains power is unstable
· Zero stratification due to immobilized electrolyte
· Reduced self-discharge
· Limiting design protects the positive plates to greatly improve cycle life
· Thicker plates for reduced grid corrosion and increased cycle life
· Improved charge acceptance due to low internal resistance
· High resistance to water loss with the right charging set up
· Ultra-stable polymer separator with glass mat for increased performance
· High resistance to shorting due to superior mechanical strength of the polymer separator
· Increased tolerance to poor charging parameters
· Can be deeply discharged
At Mojo Products we stock a wide range of deep cycle Haze batteries suitable for solar systems. Mojo Products are successful in selling the best solar batteries online due to our range of products, selling high-quality batteries from reputable brands and our excellent customer service. We offer a next day delivery and are always on hand to help with any questions.